YOYO's Blog

[PROMPT] Learning Design II – Experiential Learning (Pod 5)

As we mention the traditional academic environment, it indicates that students are teaching by teachers at schools, with homework after class. But it seems like a programmatic way of learning approaches, which bored some of the students. Thus, the ā€˜Experiential Learningā€™ appeared. Students enhance knowledge, values and skills outside the direct learning approach through the ā€˜Experiential Learningā€™. ā€˜Experiential Learningā€™ may apply as the internship, service learning, undergraduate research or even study abroad and participate in more creative and skill-based work experience

Experience Learning can be categorized into 4 parts:

1. Learning how to reflection and analyze critically from the studying.
  2. Students must make decisions and be more responsible for their own decisions.
  3. Students will have more chance participate intellectually, creatively, emotionally, socially, or physically.
  4. Students should have learned from the successes, losses, and mistakes.

Combining with the topic that was chosen by our group ā€“ ā€˜what is COVID-19 and how we can protect ourselves toward the virusā€™.

• Watch some of the documentaries and read through the WTO website about the COVID-19, which could help students quickly get to know what and how the virusā€™s symptoms are and what can we do to prevent infection from other people.
  • We will be teaching them how to wear the masks correctly, how to wash their hands carefully, and also how-to sterilization after we interact with others.
  • At the end, students can analyze why some of the countries were treating this pandemic immediately and seriously, and why some of them were misunderstanding and misleading in this pandemic.

Reference:

What is Experiential Learning? (n.d.). In Experiential Learning Center of University of Colorado Denver. Available at

http://www.ucdenver.edu/life/services/ExperientialLearning/about/Pages/WhatisExperientialLearning.aspx

Comment on peer’s writing:

https://victorsblog.opened.ca/

Hi Victor, I am so impressed by what you have done for this post. Videos could be a good way to reduce the boredness from the aticle, sometimes it is too long for people to be participate into it. Electronic Health Records is a very unique topic than any other topics that I have attached with, and I like what you detailed discussed the way how experiential learning worked. Combining with ‘Concrete Experience’, ‘Reflective Observation’, ‘Abstract Conceptualization’, and also ‘Active Experimenting’, I think it is better for students to learn knowledge, values and other stuffs beyond the experience, and we can then analyzed after those experience. Thus, we shall not make same mistakes afterwards, or we can continue our successes in the future learning.

1. victorli May 29, 2020

Hi Iris,

Thank you for sharing your research of experiential learning with us! I liked how you not only described what experiential learning is but also talked about how it emerged ā€“ being a means for students to obtain enhanced knowledge, values and skills outside of the direct learning approach. Regarding your chosen topic, I appreciate how relevant it is given the current situation we are all living under, and agree that experiential learning can definitely be used to increase knowledge of COVID-19 (e.g. familiarity with symptoms and preventative measures) for the general public. Furthermore, with reflection being a major component of experiential learning, I think your end of lesson activity is very effective in that it allows students to take their experience/what they learned and apply it immediately in a ā€œreal-world settingā€, thus increasing their ability to retain the information and understand its relevance.

Out of curiosity, is experiential learning the approach that your group chose for the project moving forward? Reading your proposed activities, I am very interested in how the final product will turn out and I think it will be a great informative resource to help keep people safe as BC slowly proceeds with its restart plan.

Looking forward to seeing your resource!

Victor

2. Yulu June 16, 2020

I think choosing this theme is a cool choice. Both China and other countries are facing this serious problem. I think one thing that needs special attention is that many young children cannot realize the seriousness of this problem in order to prevent them from washing their hands carefully and disinfecting them carefully. How to make young children call this problem serious, I think this is also very important.

3. victoria June 16, 2020

Hi Iris,
    Thanks for share this topic about experiential learning. I have strong traditional education experience, because I was also the most dissatisfied with this kind of education. But it has to be said that to some extent, the traditional way of education can help students get more knowledge in a specific situation or environment. Of course, the traditional way of education ignores the overall development of students.
    What’s a good way to prevent students from losing themselves or self-control in the new education?